Voting FAQs

Have any questions that you would like answered in our FAQs? Submit your request here.

  • What is the minority party representation law and how does it affect the Stamford Board of Education election in 2018?

Under Conn. Gen. Stat. § 146-9 (Rev. 2016) , any board that is not the legislative body or elected via geographical divisions, must adhere to minority party representation rules. This means that no Board, like the Stamford Board of Education, can have a single party control all seats. The law provides for how many seats the majority party can have based on the number of seats available (approximately 2/3).The Stamford Board of Education consists of 9 members elected at-large from the city. According to the table above, only 6 seats can be held by one party. In the 2019 election, there are 3 full term seats and a special election for a 1 one-year seat open. Three Democrats and two Republicans are on the Board and NOT up for re-election, so what are the possibilities?

If the Republican wins the special election for a 1-year term, then the top three vote-getters will win the 3 full term seats, irregardless of party.

If the Democrat wins the special election for a 1-yr term, then minority party representation rules come into play and Republicans are guaranteed at least one full term seat.

  • What is bullet voting?

Bullet voting is when you only select 1 option when you can select more.

©League of Women Voters of Stamford
Last edited October 9, 2019